Friday, February 24, 2012

A Note on Odors

I just wanted to post a quick reminder to anyone donating fabrics or blocks or quilts to me or to any organization - but especially to hospitals - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE refrain from using scented detergents or strong fabric softener when washing your fabrics or quilts, and if you are a smoker or have a smoker in your home and around your fabrics, please consider directing your charitable quilt donations to non-hospital settings.  Most of these stronger smells are especially troublesome to those undergoing medical treatments, and many hospitals will reject or dispose of quilts that contain strong smells so as to avoid jeopardizing the health of their patients.

I will say that I have received some blocks (though not many) that do not pass the initial "sniff test" and therefore I cannot jeopardize an entire quilt by including them.  While these will not be included in my quilts, they will be "deodorzized" as much as possible and passed along to a friend who makes quilts for a local shelter, in the hopes that they can still provide some comfort.

I do not mean this to be an "anti-smoking" statement - but rather a reminder of the guidelines on donations that Project Linus and many similar groups have put forth, and that I have used as guidance for my own projects.

Thank you for your understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment